Translate

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

The Dead Ones Are Easy



 It takes much more effort to find living cousins.

Now that I’ve established a connection with the Ganas family in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, I’ve begun trying to learn about them in hopes of finding living distant cousins.

I wish I’d had this information 30 or 40 years ago when I lived within easy driving distance from Milwaukee. These are relatives on my maternal side but I don’t think that my mother was aware of them.  It is a pretty distant relationship.

The low-hanging fruit is the first phase.  Ancestry.com, FamilySearch, and  Find A Grave yield a pretty good picture of the family in the late 19th and early 20th century.  There are death records, some marriage records and some birth records. These are readily verifiable sources.



The next phase requires more effort. There are a few gems to be found on a few public trees on Ancestry.  There are images of newspaper obituaries that provide starting points for more research.  I’m grateful to the others who have put these clues out there for me to find.



No comments:

Post a Comment