Translate

Friday, August 27, 2021

Wading in Unfamiliar Waters - DNA Painter

 


Taking a look at a couple of new (to me) things. New tools for my toolbox. I’m just beginning to give them a try. I wonder if they’ll be useful for me. Part I discussed WikiTree. Here's DNA Painter.

DNA Painter   


It’s been just a few days since I discovered DNA Painter. I’ve only scratched the surface, but I love it. DNA Painter is free. Here’s a quote from a Google search for DNA Painter: 

“DNA Painter is an easy-to-use tool that helps genealogists make sense of DNA testing. By mapping segments of DNA to chromosomes, we can begin to see which ancestors gave us which pieces of DNA, and thus how new matches are related. ... “This is the most user friendly, easy to use mapping tool.”

Your DNA testing site will show you where your matches fit onto your chromosomes. You may upload data from any DNA site that has your data. This is how a first cousin matches me.


Bringing that data into DNA Painter will show an identical map.

Then you can bring in other DNA matches that will be added to your chromosome map. Here’s an example of a portion of my chromosome map after adding a few more matches:


The different colors indicate which ancestor (or ancestors) is the source of that DNA segment.

The very many available tools permit analysis and give an opportunity to make valid inferences about matches where you do not know the ancestral source of the DNA. Although this is free, there is a subscription option that includes more tools.

I don’t yet know enough about it to be able to explain further, but a Google search will find many sites with information and help.  Here are a few links:

DNA Painter review – Is it the best tool for DNA visualization?

 I’m Hooked on DNA Painter. You Should Be, Too.

DNA Q&A: Do I Need DNA Painter?




No comments:

Post a Comment