Translate

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

A to Z Challenge – D is for Dachtera



Dachtera is my maiden name.

Stella, Andrew, Anna,Valentine, Pauline
Rosalie, Joseph, Magdalena, Stanley
My great grandparents, Joseph and Magdalena Dachtera arrived in the US from Prussian Poland in 1881 with their 3 children:
Stanislaw (Stanley) – my grandfather
Rosalie
Stanislawa (Stella)

In spite of many hours reading LDS microfilmed records from parishes around Oborniki and Parkowo, and Lechlin – Prusce, I still have not identified their village in Poland.  There are more films to read.

They settled first in Pennsylvania. I don’t know for certain whether Joseph worked in the coal mines or steel mills. Two more children were born in Pennsylvania. Sons:  Andrew and Valentine.

Nor do I know where they lived in Pennsylvania. They were there between census years.  I’m hoping to find church records of the baptisms of the sons born there, but have not begun that search.

By 1887 they had moved to St. Paul, Minnesota where their youngest daughters Anna and Pauline were born.   


PLEA FOR HELP:  I’ll be forever grateful if anyone reading this can give me some ideas or information to help me fill the gaps.

1 comment:

  1. Don't lose hope - my husbands mother's family was from Galicia when it was Austrian. We never thought to find anything. Then on a facebook genealogy group I met a person who also had roots in that area and she gave me the name of a man to contact. That was all it took!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete